Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 1: Introducion

September 15, 2008 - Day 1 of RCIA - the path to becoming a Catholic

1. Why Catholic?
2. Faith
3. Religion
4. Relationship with God
5. Man's Dignity and Vocation

Here is a look at what my first class entailed. I learned a lot in just a short hour and 30 minutes. The REV. Father Hathaway taught this class and was very enlightening. I learned a little about the creation of man. Some basics to how we were created. The trinity was brought up explaining the 3-in-1. For the most port, everything that was brought up was familar and I felt like I was in my hometown church. We have a few books that are part of the RCIA lessons: The Bible, The Cathechism, Outlines of the Catholic Faith, and The Faith Explained. The Cathechism was like a foreign language to me...they explained briefly how it's used and it's such a great tool that clearly outlines the Bible in a very effective way. It's not another book to the Bible...it's a tool to use along with the Bible for explanations of each Bible verse basically. Then, there was the question of the signing of the cross. This has always been so strange to me...not in a bad way. After many dinners with my fiance and his mother and watching them do the signing of the cross, I became very intrigued by the use of this. I never thought I would actually be doing it. So, from this night on, all students of the class began doing the cross signing at the end of the beginning prayer and at the end prayer. It's a pretty cool feeling I have to say. This was an eye opening class for me. I'm glad that I made the decision to go and I'm really looking forward to the next 8 months. We covered a lot this night, the basics basically and I will have more to update on a later post!

Current feeling: EXCITED!

No comments: